On December 2, 1904, James Fraser and his wife, Marion, granted for the sum of $1.00, to the trustees of the Fraser Cemetery (Alex Wallace of Bagot, Alex Fraser of Bagot and William Wallace of McNab) part of Lot 21, Concession 2, Bagot, composed of three-twentieths of an acre to be used as a burial place for them and their successors. The deed to this was registered on August 1, 1905.
In the years that followed, additional land was granted to enlarge this cemetery by James H. Fraser and again by Romeo Riopelle and, finally, by Viola McNulty.
On November 19, 1981, Viola McNulty granted, for the sum of $1.00 to the trustees of the Fraser Cemetery (Alex H. Fraser, Jock McGregor, Robert Wallace, Jack Fraser and Eileen Brydges) the total of the land in the extensions. The deed was duly registered
on December 17, 1981 (77 years after the original grant).
Over the years the original trustees passed away. Some were replaced, but eventually the board ceased to function formally. Much of the caretaking was done voluntarily by members of the Campbell McGregor family; a chainlink fence was erected by James
J. Fraser with some financial assistance from the families concerned.
In 1972, the trustee board was revitalized. The new board consisted of Alex H. Fraser, Jock Fraser, Jock McGregor, Morris Wallace, Chairman Eileen Brydges and Secretary Treasurer, Durrell Stubinsky.
Later replacements as Secretary Treasurer were Marjorie Fraser, Connie Ryan and Lois Leclaire. Alex H. Fraser was replaced upon retirement by his son R.A., Jock Fraser upon death by his brother Wm, H., and Jock McGregor upon retirement by Ambrose Brydges.
Morris Wallace was succeeded by his son Rob who in turn passed the office to Gilbert Sykes.
With advice from the Ministry of Consumer and Corporate Affairs in the persons of cemetery inspectors Asselstine and Keeling, the cemetery was surveyed by Moodie Fraser, mapped by Eileen Brydges, a set of rules and regulations drawn up, a perpetual care fund established in Victoria and Grey. Summer care was given in successive years by Ron Taber and several members of the Louis Riopelle family. Grounds were levelled, gravestones re-set and repaired and a parking area created between cemetery and road.
A first Memorial service was held in the cemetery on July 12, 1987, followed by refreshments at the home of Ambrose and Eileen Brydges. Some seventy-five family members and guests attended this reunion.
CEMETERY BOARD MEMBERS 1986-87
MRS. EILEEN BRYDGES, CHAIRMAN
MRS. LOIS LECLAIRE, SECRETARY-TREASURER
MR. AMBROSE BRYDGES,MEMBER
MR. R.A. FRASER, MEMBER
MR. LOUIS RIOPELLE, MEMBER
MR. GlBERT SYKES, MEMBER
Amelia Caroline Eraser
Amelia Caroline (Durrell)
H. Louise Malloch
Muriel C. (Brydges)
Rita H. (McIntosh)
Marion Forrest (Fraser)
H. Louise (Fraser)
Rita H. Gutcher Wallace
A & A
Lila M. Wallace
Lila M. (Robertson)
Rita H. Gutcher (McIntosh)