cemetery Killaloe (Grace) Evangelical

Killaloe (Grace) Evangelical Cemetery
Conc. VI, Lot 11,
Hagarty Township, Renfrew County

The Evangelical congregation has been active in Killaloe since 1875, when services were first held in the home of August GETZ, a Baptist Deacon. He later became a “local preacher” in this Evangelical church. At the age of 81 years, he was still preaching every second Sunday. The old bonds with the Baptist church remained for he was laid to rest in the GETZ plot of the Immanuel Cemetery (Baptist), stone #99 Conc. III, Lot 17, Hagarty Township.

The first church erected was of log structure, built on what is now the cemetery grounds. This acre of land on which the church stood was donated by a Polish friend, John BORUTSKIE.

Four years after the erection of the church, the railroad line was built through the community and as a result, the hamlet known as Fort MacDonald was renamed Killaloe Station. The congregation decided to move their church to a tract of land in the village beside the railway tracks after this new mode of transportation became a reality.

Extensive improvements were made to the church in 1917; a gallery was built to increase seating capacity and a basement added. In 1930 a choir loft was erected and an annex as a side entrance. In 1962, lots were purchased on Highway #60/62 which bypasses the village. The sod-turnng was April 1963, and in December 1963 the congregation held its Christmas service in the new church. The official opening ceremonies were held on December 29, 1963.

This church did not join with the United Church but instead transferred to the Norwest Canada Conference of the Evangelical Church and this became effective on July 1, 1969. Its sister church, Salem Evangelical at Augsberg, did the same and from that time these two congregations have remained self-supporting.

The cemetery is located on Hagarty Road #27. Take Highway #62 north out of Killaloe Station, turn left on Hagarty Road #15, tum left on Hagarty Road #27 and it is several hundred feet from this comer. The caretaker prior to 1976 was Matthew NOACK, when Ellard SCHOENFELDT took over the duties. Since Ellard became caretaker, he has drawn up a plat where each plot is identified alphabetically north to south, and numerically east to west. (Burial information from Ellard SCHOENFELDT. History from “Grace Evangelical Church-A Century of Service 1875-
1975”)

Where information appears on more than one face of the stone, a space is left in the recording denoting either the back or side of the same stone.

Geraldine Kuehl, 1991.

Recorded 1991 by Dolores M. Allen & Geraldine Kuehl.
Computer input August 1997 by Dolores M. Allen.

This cemetery record contains a map with the location of the headstones shown. It also contains headstone inscriptions.

INDEX
Married women are indexed under both married and maiden names
ADELINE, Lornie
BLIE, Mrs. Theodore
BLOEDOW, Alice V.
Anna Luisa
John W.
BOWES, Jennie
BOZAK, Alfred
Douglas Brian
Marian
BRISCOE, Mary D.
BROWNING, Frank
Malinda JUNOP
BUDD, Martha
BUDER, Amelia SCHLEEN
John and family
Louise
Wilhelmina
William
DOWNING, Roy B.
Violet M. OKUM
EGGERT, Anna Marie HEIDEMANN
Baby
Frederick G.
Infant sons
FABIAN, Annabelle
Matilda E.
FLEGUEL, Carrie
FLEUGAL, Mary KURTSWICK
Otto
GEORGE, Bernice
GETZ, Mary Ann
GILES, Eva A.
GOETZ, Anna Luisa BLOEDOW
William F.
HARTWICK, Gladys L.
HIEDEMANN, Anna Marie
HILDEBRANDT, Clara B. PILGRIM
Hannah L.
K.L. (Louis)
HOKUM, Benjamin
Florence M.
Fred
Louise BUDER
Wilhelmina Mgt. SCHROEDER
JUNNOP, Adeline
JUNOP, Louise A.
Malinda
KINDER, Emerson R.
KRANZ, Elsie Catherine
Herman E.
Herman E.
Mary Anna
Mary Ann GETZ
Mary L. OKUM
Nicholas
Sophia A.
KUEHL, Arthur, Sergeant
Lena
KURTSWICK, Mary
LARMOND, Mabel Mary
LAUNDRY, Cora M.
LAYMAN, Alvin
Annabelle FABIAN
C. Ferdinand
Evelyn SMITH
Florence A.
Gustave
Mary Anna KRANZ
LIBENTHAL, Bertha FLEGLE
Ferdenant
LISK, Bernice GEORGE
Doris A.
John F.
Lena E.
Margaret R.
Minnie H. NOACK
Olive
Richard J.
Robert C., LAC
Rose WELK
Rueben A.
Sarah E. NEUMAN
William Harold
Wm. Henry
LULOFF, Louise A. JUNOP
William E.
MACEACHERN, Mary H. PALMER
Neil L.
MILLER, Marie
NEUMAN, Sarah E.
NOACK, Albert
Annie M. PETERS
Bertha
Emma M. OKUM
Infants
Jennie BOWES
Lena
Mathew
Matthew
Matthew C.
Minnie H.
O’CONNOR, Dorothy I. OKUM
Ellard J.
OKUM, Christian
Clayton A.
Cora M. LAUNDRY
Daniel
Dorothy I.
Emma M.
Harold F.
Henry
Henry
John C.
Lena KUEHL
Lena L.
Lloyd J.
Louisa
Mabel Mary LARMOND
Martha
Martha BUDD
Martin Fred
Mary L.
Matthew H.M.
Violet M.
William
William Charles
William F.
Wilhelmina BUDER
PALMER, Eva A. GILES
Mary H.
Walter A.
PEEPER, Mary
PETERS, Annie M.
PILATZKE, Adeline JUNNOP
John G.
Martin
Tena E.
PILGRIM, Clara B.
ROBERTSON, Elsie M.
SCHLEEN, Amelia
SCHOENFELDT, August H.
Marie MILLER
SCHONNOP, Matilda E. FABIAN
Samuel M.
SCHROEDER, Wilhelmina Margaret
SHELLHORN, Mary PEEPER
SMITH, Evelyn
John F.
Sophia A. KRANZ
STRONG, Anna Mae WELK
Leslie C.
TENNANT, Alfred
Annie
Clara Ann
Elsie M. ROBERTSON
James W.
Lena NOACK
Simon
William M.
THUR, Clifford L.
Mary D. BRISCOE
VERCH, William C.
WARBY, Michael E.
Sheila A. WELK
WELK, Anna Mae
Annie
Clara Ann TENNANT
Clarence M.
Florence A. LAYMAN
Gladys L. HARTWICK
Gustave
Hannah L. HILDEBRANDT
Henry T.
John Louis
Norman
Rose
Sheila A.
WHITE, Florence M. HOKUM
John L.
YERLITZ, Carrie FLEGUEL
William